Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving - Tongan Style

This has been a pretty crazy week. We have had a lot of things happen, not just the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving was super awesome! It was cool to see the way that the Tongans do it, however it isn't much different than how we do it; although I would say they can eat ten times more than we can! The Bishop and his wife fed us lunch, which was a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner. The only thing is that the food they gave just to us was about as much as would be brought to feed the whole extended Barker family! I thought I was going to die! 

Then after that we went to another get together that the Maile family was having. Not only was it Thanksgiving, but it was their 50th wedding anniversary and their grandsons first birthday as well. This one was more Tongan style. They had 4 roasted pigs and piles of other Tongan food. It was good, but it was nuts! I'll try to get some pictures of the feast from Elder Crossett.
 
We had a funeral this week for an elderly sister in our ward. She passed away last Friday. Seeing a Tongan culture funeral has been pretty interesting! They usually last for about a week. But this one was shorter because of the family situation. 

There is food everyday, we have like 8 plates of food sitting at home and 3 - 12 packs of soda! I probably did gain another 20 pounds, we have been running or we'd really be in trouble! 

We had a cool experience at the funeral, we went to the viewing to show our support. And while there we were able to talk with the funeral directors (they weren't members) and they were unfamiliar with how LDS funerals went, let alone LDS/Tongan funerals. So we were able to share with them some of the Plan of Salvation and we also spoke with one them about the restoration! He said he would read from the Book of Mormon and pray about it! It was pretty cool to see how that was all set up!

Being a Zone Leader is very interesting, I have my first MLC (Mission Leadership Conference) with President Van Cott tomorrow. I'm very excited because his training's are always so good! We do a lot of exchanges and we just finished some exchanges with the AP's on Saturday. It is a lot of responsibility and a lot of the time I don't feel like I know what I am doing but it is a very cool learning experience for me.

I love and miss you all. This picture shows this house that we saw that is all decked out for Christmas. It reminded me of the one we have close to our house. Have a great week everyone!


Love, Elder Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment