Monday, February 23, 2015

Faith

So, you've been getting colder,wet weather back home? It has been freezing down here too! I think it got down to the 50's once! :P Haha Just kidding! It is nice that we are getting water back home, that is always a plus! 

I'm happy that you had a great time at the Time Out For Women seminar, and yes that is pretty much what it feels like to go to Zone Conferences. 

This week has been a really good and busy one. But it also has been one of much prayer and fasting. I've been learning a lot about faith this week in relationship to some of the investigators that we have been teaching. Our investigator, Letta (she is the granddaughter of one of the sisters in the ward) has been doing really awesome. She is super excited to learn about the gospel and we have come to feel that she believes that the church is going to bring her happiness.

We had a lesson with her that was really intense and the spirit was super strong! But the problem is that her Dad is really really anti-mormon. He doesn't even live with them, but you can tell that her Dad still has a big affect on her. But she exercised her faith to ask him about how he feels about the whole thing, and her meeting with us and getting baptized. Her father apparently shut her down really fast. Letta has been super hurt about that. But we've been fasting and praying for her and for her Dads heart to be softened, and it seems that Letta is still determined to learn more. 

Also our investigator, David (the 10 year old) is in a similar situation. His mom is a returning less active and desires for him to be baptized, but his dad (from whom she is divorced) doesn't like the church either. So we have been praying for David as well.

I've learned a lot about faith from these experiences. Because both of these situations are really tough. There really is nothing for us to do. But through praying and fasting, I've been reassured many times from the spirit that things will go well with them. And I would think to myself. How can this be? Both situations seem to be getting worse and worse. 

I would expect that if I'm exercising my faith that things should miraculously get better, right? But as I thought about it and pushed thoughts of doubt away and focused on striving to have faith and do what I could, this scripture came to my mind: Mosiah 24: 13-14: 

"And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."

Now this scripture is talking about Alma and his people in bondage to the Lamanites, but I felt that the Lord tries our faith and puts us through seemingly impossible things so that we can know with an absolute surety that he does visit us in our trials and he does deliver us. Through exercising faith I've seen my burdens be lightened. I know that things will work out. I have no idea how, but they will. 

Well I love you all so much, and I hope you all have a great week! 

Love,
Elder Barker  

No comments:

Post a Comment